Friday, October 06, 2006

How Much?

How much of the Bible do you think you should read each day? People have proposed lots of different ideas; the Holy Spirit will have to be your ultimate authority.

But just in case He wants to use me to give you an idea, I will mention a few:

  • A specified length of time. Anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour.
  • An amount of time as compared to that which you spend on some other activity. Like primping, reading the newspaper, or surfing the internet.
  • A single chapter. Or several. One retired man I know challenges himself to read 10 chapters a day!
  • One New Testament, one Old Testament, one Psalms, and one Proverbs each day.
  • A formal reading plan. Like reading the Bible in 90 days or a year.
  • An informal reading plan. Using a Bible reading log, just read what you want.

Right now, I am doing kind of a hybrid thing: I have a bookmark in the Old Testament and one in the New. I read 2 to 4 chapters per day; from one portion, the other, or a combination.

What I would never recommend is to allow a packaged devotional, no matter how good, or even a Bible study, to substitute for reading the Word for yourself. That would be kind of like consuming Slim Fast instead of steak for dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home