How Much?How much of the Bible do you think you should read each day? People have proposed lots of different ideas; the Holy Spirit will have to be your ultimate authority.
But just in case He wants to use me to give you an idea, I will mention a few:
- A specified length of time. Anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour.
- An amount of time as compared to that which you spend on some other activity. Like primping, reading the newspaper, or surfing the internet.
- A single chapter. Or several. One retired man I know challenges himself to read 10 chapters a day!
- One New Testament, one Old Testament, one Psalms, and one Proverbs each day.
- A formal reading plan. Like reading the Bible in 90 days or a year.
- An informal reading plan. Using a Bible reading log, just read what you want.
Right now, I am doing kind of a hybrid thing: I have a bookmark in the Old Testament and one in the New. I read 2 to 4 chapters per day; from one portion, the other, or a combination.
What I would never recommend is to allow a packaged devotional, no matter how good, or even a Bible study, to substitute for reading the Word for yourself. That would be kind of like consuming Slim Fast instead of steak for dinner.